Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Is this my "Awakening?"

As a quick follow up to my last post...I just read this article that a friend posted on FB called "10 Life Changes You Can't Avoid on the Path to Awakening" which I found VERY fitting for this particular time in my life. Hopefully it's not too "metaphysical" for anyone :) ...I just think it has a good message. Below, I've copied and pasted a summary and threw in my thoughts after each numbered point.

1. Healing your relationships with your parents & family:
Re-frame the past and you can create a limitless future.

My thoughts--I think this is mostly relating to your parents and maybe siblings (which I don't have). My relationship with my mom is good. It's not perfect, but it's CERTAINLY not bad. We have grown closer as I've gotten older, especially now that I have children and can appreciate her. My real father is deceased and my parents were divorced at a very young age and he lived in a different state. So we weren't close. And I'm ok with that. I definitely think growing up without him made me view love and relationships differently than my friends. But I've accepted that it happened that way for a reason and I don't dwell on it.

2. Re-locating or traveling outside of where you grew up: 
Once you branch out, explore and give yourself permission to fresh exposure to the World, you’ll find you can ground-in and call home somewhere that is most relevant with your values and desires for your lifestyle and career at this point in your life.

My thoughts--While moving away from our current city doesn't appear to be in the cards for us anytime soon, I will say that travel has taught me a great deal about life and is something I truly treasure. I don't get to do it anymore...but I LOVE to travel! ha!! I think it just opens your eyes to so many new things and it also helps you gain perspective. My husband hasn't traveled nearly as much as I have so on the few trips we've taken together, I really enjoying watching him "take it all in."

3. Leaving Behind Unhealthy, Toxic & Stuck Relationships:
It [comes] down to one simple fact, I want to work everyday to improve myself and I need to ensure I have good people around me doing the same. Remember you can stay in touch with people you care about, but don’t force change on anyone, let it come to them. In meantime, do what you need to do to care for yourself.

My thoughts--Done and DONE!

4.Constantly Improving Your Diet & Exercise Routine:
Our diets are designed to evolve, and have been doing so since the beginning of time. Be open to exploring various healthful diets that truly work for you, and be open to new things, as technology is exponentially enhancing the world of nutrition. The same is true for exercise!

My thoughts--OH, so it IS ok that I've tried every diet and exercise fad in the book?!?!?! Kidding...but I'm always reading about the newest health and fitness trends and so far I have sort of found that "Everything in Moderation" is my motto (and not just when it comes to diet and exercise). I try to eat healthy and lately, I have been exercising--well, up until my surgery that is :) I want to be better about this though. I try to remember that we only have this one life and this one body to live in, so we should treat it like gold! Easier said than done when frozen chicken nuggets and string cheese are required dinner 2 nights a week. 

5. Let Go of Clutter, Chaos & Old Stuff:
Clutter and chaos is not rebellious and it’s not sexy. It’s sloppy and a sign of lack of true self-care and awareness. I know it takes a lot to maintain our rapid modern lives, but the tighter, cleaner and more organized you keep things, the better results you’ll have with your ambitions, I promise.
Old stuff needs to go! Physical objects with high emotional attachment can hold a lot of our emotional energy. I am reminded of when I told my friend to throw out his old-shoes he had been hanging on to, because he didn't know where the money would come from to get a new pair and guess what? He manifested a high paying gig and a new home within a week after releasing those beat up shoes! Our stuff can be a physical representation of clinging to the past, and letting go of old things means we open up for new opportunities, clarity, gifts and miracles from the Universe.

My thoughts--Now THIS, this is what I'm talking about. This is something I truly need to wrap my head around and focus on changing IMMEDIATELY! I hold on to WAY to much for "sentimental" reasons...but I also hoard things...like flip flops, nail polish and white tank tops. WTH?

6. Become a Constant Learner & Student of Life: Learning is an evolutionary process, which means we must become more of who we are in each moment by learning new information, tools and approaches towards life. A willingness to learn is a willingness to grow. All suffering comes from resistance to change.

My thoughts--See!!!! I just said yesterday that I feel like life is a permanent school, and I am constantly learning!

7. Finding Conscious Community to Surround Yourself With: I believe it’s vital that we all come together at this time to find other people who share our same interests, pursuits and values. The easiest way to grow is to grow with others who are on the same path as you, and in order to find this, you need to find your community and develop your own path.

My thoughts--right now, I'm good. I don't need more friends or more acquaintances. My close friends are all on the same "journey" of being in our late 30's and just figuring out life as we go. Some are mothers like me and some are not. But circling back to #3--since I don't surround myself with toxic people anymore, I feel very comfortable with my current "community."

8. Creating a New Relationship with Yourself & Your Lifestyle:
No more self sabotage or self depreciation! As an awakened individual you have to be truly loving and kind to yourself. This means reducing your negative thoughts and emotions towards yourself and others. It also means, no more beating yourself or others up for the circumstances you are in, and then you can take responsibility for your relationship with yourself and your lifestyle. You can design your internal and external reality however you wish, you just need to give yourself permission and the confidence to do so! It takes time and patience. You got this!

My thoughts--a dear friend once told me at a very poignant time that it's "All about your perspective." Of course I had heard that a million times before. But when she brought it to the forefront, I was home with a newborn, our older son was about 2.5, and I was sleep deprived and exhausted (and baby #2 was a crier!). She gave me these words of wisdom--"It's a blessing, not a curse." It changed my perspective at 3am when he was screaming...it IS a blessing that I have a healthy child. I shouldn't be annoyed that my baby needs me! Again, not the easiest thing to do EVERY time, but that little mantra SERIOUSLY got me out of some dark times!

After that time in my life and especially after the birth of baby #3, I have definitely taken a step back and re-evaluated what is important to me and changed my perspective when times get tough. And as I've mentioned, I've realized that it's not all about "things" and about being perfect...it's about being loved, giving love and being happy. I recently had the courage to put on a bikini (just in my bedroom--not out in public--but a HUGE step to even put it on!). And I actually thought..."Hmmm, not BAD for 37."  I'm slowly accepting my body and learning that I'm never going to look like I did when I was 22 again. So to have that kind of weight lifted is extremely freeing. And it allows me to say, "Maybe I won't look like I did when I was 22, but I want to be strong and healthy so I can live a longer life and be there for my family." 

9. Choosing a Career in Alignment with Your Heart’s Calling:
You can’t work some kind of soul-sucking job, even if it does pay good. Settling with a career that doesn’t truly fulfill you isn’t worth it. Why wake up one day with regret when you could wake up with a legacy?
Following your heart’s calling in your career can be extremely challenging, because it means you will have to do lots of illogical things that people around you may not understand. However, if you are making truly heartfelt decisions, it will always lead you in the right direction.
Listen to what your true calling is, and if you don’t know it yet, start trying things out until you find it. Everyone’s calling is evolving constantly and it’s not about finding it, it’s about YOU getting into the rhythm of what you are supposed to be doing right now. It’s resonating in your heart and soul, always speaking to you, undeniably, take heed. A positive career means you are working and doing your part to make a difference, and if we all do that, the World will continually change for the better.

My thoughts--After the birth of baby #3, I was able to stay home with him for 10 months while our older boys attended daycare. It was so wonderful and I will forever be grateful to my husband for letting me do that (even though we did go in debt for it). Since it was our third, I was much more relaxed about everything and able to just take it all in and bond with him. But I also knew I wasn't going to be able to stay home forever for financial reasons. And I'm not quite stay-at-home mom material (with all three, that is). So I got a new job that "fits" very well right now. The best part about the job is the fact that it's a small family-owned business (and they also have 3 young children). So I'm not just a number. I'm one of 2 employees in the office. And my hours are 10am-5pm so I never have to RUSH to get the boys to daycare and fight traffic to arrive somewhere by 8am. Is it my DREAM job? No. But it's just fine for now. I'm learning new stuff everyday and I just enjoy that I'm able to contribute...at work AND financially at home. It's not exactly the best pay and that's something we are a little concerned with...but for right now, I enjoy going to work and it doesn't stress me out. That's a complete 180 from what my husband is experiencing--so I think it's good that at least ONE of us can be relatively sane. HA!

A side point to this is that I've always loved to write...so to me, finally starting this blog is a step in the right direction.

10. Live from Your Heart
Open your heart and live from it each day. Love is always the answer. You Got This!

My thoughts--Love IS always the answer!!!


Here is an image that I grabbed from the same website. I am REALLY feeling #4 lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment